Search This Blog

22.7.10

Belly Burger - Niman Ranch Beef

I can't be out all of the time saving the world one tree-stranded cat at a time. Even I have to eat. This particular evening I found myself at Belly Burger on Geary. I wound up getting a turkey burger with avocado. But for the sake of argument, let's consider the Niman Ranch beef served (upon request, with surcharge) at Belly Burger.

The cattle are handled according to strict protocols from pasture to plate, from field to fridge. Even the slaughter is regulated. Every individual animal is traceable to an individual farm.

All of this is good. However, they don't make Niman Ranch beef like they used to. In August 2007, founder Bill Niman was forced out of the company by a hostile board of directors over the operations and animal handling procedures. Substances which Bill Niman refused to use began to be used soon thereafter. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss much worse than the old boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment