Search This Blog

22.7.10

Slow Food.


Nowadays we are accustomed to go to a restaurant and get served quickly. If it takes more than 10 minutes to get our order we become nervous, at least my friends and I do. Nonetheless food preparation should not be rushed, and the faster a meal is served the less fresh it probably is.

At Holy Grill, they inform you that you will have to wait before getting your order, which got me thinking about Slow Food. The title seems self-explanatory but I never really looked into it. The movement was created in the late 1980s as a reaction against McDonald’s and fast foods in general. Apart from the benefit of thought through waiting, the movement promotes local farming, traditional cuisine and a healthy relationship towards the environment… basically a sustainable way to eat. They are “founded upon connections between plate and planet”.

Holy Grill is far from being the best example but it combines the best of both worlds. I doubt the workers consider themselves part of the Slow Food movement but they adhere to the essence of it. Their burgers are far from being greasy and they are incomparably good and they do make an effort in their choice of ingredients. I never go to fast foods but I (and many others) have walked there specifically to get their food (yes it is that good!).

No comments:

Post a Comment